Monday, August 10, 2009

GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra--GO SEE IT!!!!!

First off let me say that I am not a professional critic, nor do I work for anyone associated with this film. What I am is a fan. I grew up with GI Joe as a kid, both the action figures and the cartoons and I'd have loved a live action movie to have been made back then. I'm also, if you have been reading this blog regularly, a big fan of Christopher Eccleston. Now I'd have seen this movie anyway, even if Chris didn't have such a prominent role in it. I also loved Stephen Sommers Mummy movies, my favorite being The Mummy Returns. SO, now that you know where I am coming from, on to the film!

I loved it and not just Chris' scenes. You also don't have to be an GI Joe fan to understand what is going on. The film will show you whatever backstory is key. It's sci-fi action adventure with some drama and just a really fun time. I won't spoil anything in this review but the effects are mind blowing, there are good looking men and women in interesting costumes with interesting tech, and there are explosions, lots of explosions. There is also a really cool underwater battle (think Thunderball with a massive upgrade). There are plenty of plot twists but not overly complicated and you actually care about what these characters get up to, regardless of whom you are cheering for.

Now, for those critics who complained about Chris' accent, let me just say that I thought it was consistent, well done, understandable, and made it clear that his character was Scottish. And for those of you who would still complain about all things Gaelic let me just say "Plughaugh mah hon!" and while I'm unsure on the spelling it does convey my sentiment.

No comments: